Friday, August 14, 2009

Insulation Dedication


I spent part of yesterday wandering around the abandoned church (across the street) with a veterinarian from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. You see, I found some birds. Dead birds. Four dead owls and a Cooper's hawk. I was very worried that something or someone was killing these beautiful birds.

Turns out the owls were fledgelings and probably died of natural causes - most likely starvation. They came out of the nest too early and wandered around the massive building. The parents couldn't find them to feed them, and they died. The hawk apparently tried to exit the building through one of the few remaining windows and broke its neck.

I thank Dr. Vandenburg for driving all the way out here to investigate. He was patient and kind, and taught me much about the beautiful birds of this area. He also took the birds with him to further investigate ... just in case.

During our walk, I found a piece of insulation and couldn't resist the heart. It helped dry the tears in my eyes.

3 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, Sissy--I'm glad the birds there have you as their guardian. ((hugs)) Hearts to you, my darling Sister.

Carole said...

The poor birds. :-(

It's always sad. We've taken our fair share of birds to the local Wildlife Refuge for help.

Most were treated, recovered, and released back into the wild. Always a nice feeling.

Lois said...

How sad! I would have been worried too. The heart is lovely!